Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Stop and enjoy

I have to remind myself (often) to stop and enjoy the moment. I get caught up in neatness and order and forget to realize these things mean nothing to my children. They don't see 25 blocks scattered across the house but instead a village for their bugs. (plastic ones!!) Today, I felt awful for fussing at my son for getting dirty...

It was HOT here today. So while I was cooking dinner and feeding Becca, I let Molly and Jack run around in the sprinkler. I can see them from the back door and the flowers needed watering. So they ran and played and once when I looked out, I couldn't see them. I called for them and found them in the drive way squatting looking at something. I scolded them for leaving the back yard and as they got up all I could see was the mud on their suits, legs, and feet. I also noticed all the rocks they were gathering. Jack walked funny. So I asked him what he'd been up to. (mind you I am MAD that they were so dirty) Molly told me he had rocks in his bathing suit. I was now furious. "Jack, Why on earth would you put rocks in your suit? Get this mess cleaned up." He stripped down, put the rocks back in the drive way, cleaned off in the sprinkler and came up on the deck to me. "Mom, I just wanted to be a bird." me, "what are you talking about" J, "A Blue Jay mommy. I was pretending to be a Blue Jay who was going to lay some eggs. The rocks are kinda blue. Are Blue Jays really mean birds mom, cause I like them the best. See, I have my Blue Jay feather still. I'm sorry I'm dirty. I just wanted to be a bird." He looks up at me, shrugs and goes inside. I am dying, feeling like the worst mommy ever. How cute was he and all I cared about was the mess.

So, I vow, to slow down, and enjoy the moment(s). This time will be gone to soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenni, Jack sounds like just an all american little boy. They love to get dirty. Turner did. Oh yes, please enjoy these moments, they will be gone before you know it. I hear Molly is at Em's for the weekend. How cool!
Love,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Jenni, what a sweetheart Jack is. Of course, I don't have to wash his clothes.(I'll bet you iron them,too. I would! LOL) Did Molly get dirty too, or not as bad? I remember Mom getting after us when we got "red Virginia clay" in our clothes, because it just wouldn't come clean. Hooray for the new detergents!!! (I'm showing my age) LOL