Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ouch!

I was working in the yard today pulling weeds and such when I felt this pain on my pinkie finger. thinking it was a thorn vine I missed, I went back to get it and got stung again. My finger was really hurting now and I was feeling strange all over. I had a tingling feeling in my face, arms, a chest. I also felt very sick to my stomach. This freaked Molly out, who was doing yard work with me, and she went to go get Scott. At this point, I felt awful and Scott could tell. I remembered seeing something in the bush and this is what it was. A saddle-back caterpillar. (I didn't take this picture, VA Tech did.) I went online and went to the VA Tech extension website and found out some info on this fella. They sting and cause the most pain of the stinging caterpillar variety. If you are sensitive to bee stings, they advise you seek medical attention. The reactions can be similar. These caterpillars are out now feeding so beware! I feel some what better, but not great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Jenni. I think you should have gone to the hospital. Hmm. Well, I didn't know that caterpillars could sting. News to me. I'm glad the reaction wasn't severe, but GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!