Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Peaks and Mother's Day

The weekend of Mother's Day, my Dana wanted to have a family gathering at the Peaks of Otter. Since getting to the Peaks from Richmond isn't easy, I drove to Roanoke Friday after picking the biggies up from school.(what Scott and I call Molly and Jack~we also call Molly "Biggie Big, Jack "Biggie Medium", and Becca "Biggie Smalls" just in case you wanted to know...) We had an uneventful ride to the Noke. Molly and Jack LOVE the ride to Nana & PapPap's because it means they can watch a movie in the car. We never turn the DVD player on unless we are going there. It's a huge treat.

We had a great visit Friday night. Dana had been in Lynchburg for the day and brought Jordan back with her. The cousins had a great time playing and stayed up very, very late!! We drove up to the Peaks early afternoon and got a great place for a picnic. The children played, adults visited and the food was awesome.

Aunt Becky took this one of me a Becca. I can't tell who she looks like in this picture.
Here are a few of the drive. Yes, I took these while driving!! I forgot how much I missed the sky line at home. Jack said something cute on the ride to Dad and Dana's. Jack: "Look mommy at those big mountains. They are bigger than a hill. Mommy those mountains are blue mountains mommy!" I loved that he figured why they are named the Blue Ridge Mountains. Maybe a 3 year old way back when was responsible for naming them...


We had a great time and I didn't want to leave everyone. I never get enough time to visit with my family and I wish I lived closer. But we left around 7 pm and it was the hardest drive for me. I was so tired that I got a cup if Mickey D's coffee in Bedford and Farmville. (which is not half bad!) Molly and Jack sacked out before we left Bedford. Yep, I took these while driving too. Aren't they cute??!!

Sunday morning was lots of fun. Molly and Jack get so excited about holidays, birthdays, a new season, you name it. Becca, who was also excited it was Mother's Day, got up at 5 am. :)By the time I got her settled back down, they rest of the crew woke up. They made me a big breakfast, gave me a new plant for my garden, and gave me lots of cards and things that they made for the occasion. It was great. I got to take a l-o-n-g nap and they picked up my favorite Chinese take out for dinner. All in all, a great day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenni, I meant to thank you for showing pictures of the mountains in Virginia the other day. I miss them, but they are nothing like the giants here in Nevada. At a distance, ours are blue, too. I am still amazed of the beauty here.

Love Helen